Welcome to the Wonderful World of the Williams...

Team Williams lives so "...that you may be filled with the fullness of God." Ephesians 3:19

Friday, October 24, 2008

D-Now Weekend!

This last weekend I left Adam instead of the other way around. Fret not dear friends! There was no fight! Our marriage is doing just fine:). I was a leader for the 10th grade girls at Disciple Now Weekend at our church. I have been a student at this numerous times in high school and have such great memories of it, but this was my first time to do anything with the youth here in ABQ.

I would like to make a SHOUT OUT to all my cypress girls because doing D- Now made me think of ya'll!!! I love Jenn, Claire, Sally, Lindsee, and the plethora of you other sweet girls! It would be fun to be a sophomore girl again JUST for a day so we could all hang out again. On another note, I am just fine being passed the confusing age of fifteen and dealing with high school boys and taking chemistry.

I was a little nervous about the weekend because I didn't know any of my girls. God blessed me so much because I got the absolute sweetest group of girls possible. I thought our group sessions would be like pulling teeth to get them to open up to me and to each other. Man, was I wrong. We had the opposite problem of not having time to get through all the questions because everyone had something to share. I love the vulnerability of these girls. My heart went out to them as they shared about real problems such as being made fun of at school for being virgins, liking school, or being nice to people. Everyone has to face this to a certain extent in public school, but I can honestly say I never faced the type of persecution these girls faced. I wanted to lay my hands on them and zap them with all the wisdom I have learned since high school. I wanted them desperately to not make as many stupid decisions as I did. I was only with them a weekend and I don't know if I had time to impart much to them besides my goofiness, but God worked in them. They all were drawn closer to him after the weekend, and it was such a blessing to watch!

After the weekend, I was TIRED. I wish there was another word to adequately describe how tired I was. D-Weekend reminded me that I'm not in high school anymore. I need sleep!! Baby J needs sleep! My husband needs me to sleep!

One of the games we played was a couch scavenger hunt where we transported a random couch all around ABQ and took photos with it at different locations. Well, I was wearing jeans, a t-shirt, and had my hair in a ponytail just like I always did in high school. Being around all the youngness, I was feeling pretty young. Later that night a slide show was made of all our photos. At first I couldn't find myself in any of the photos. Then I realized....I am the goofy looking pregnant lady! I so don't look like I'm in high school! It was a humbling experience:)

On another note, each and everyone can be praying that Adam and I would know if we are called to youth ministry. They need more leaders and both of us were told that we are needed. Please pray for our guidance and wisdom!

2 comments:

Claire said...

That's so neat that you are being able to work with girls in ministry, I LOVE retreats with youth, though they sure are tiring! I miss you sweet girl, hope you have a relaxing weekend!

Anonymous said...

Yay! emo i love reading you blogs! i think that is so exiting that y'all are even considering youth ministry! i know from y"alls nicaragua trip that adam is really good with high schoolers and i could see you being amazing as well! i'll definitely will be praying that y'all with have some clarity about this decision! love, Anna, your sister:)